National Event Welfare Service
is a team of well-respected professionals with almost 30 years' experience in the event industry. Established in 1995, we are longest running event team in the UK.
We are recruited from professions such as: psychiatric and general nurses, doctors, counsellors and IAPT practitioners, first responders & emergency crew, drug and alcohol workers, youth workers, social workers, safeguarding practitioners, and youth offending teams. But most importantly, caring, sensible and approachable people who are good with all ages who need assistance and support. We all enjoy festivals, so we understand the kinds of situations that may occur.
We are on site and on hand 24/7 for festival customers, whatever the weather.
We act as an on-the-ground monitor for identifying potential problems before they occur, and feed this back to the event organisers. We act as an advocacy bridge between people needing welfare support and other on or off site agencies.
Part of the Senior Coordinator’s role is to keep fully updated on HSE, WHO, SCIE and NICE legislation to maintain high standards of service, in which the team are fully briefed.
Targeted training is delivered to team leaders in specialist areas, such as Safeguarding Children & Adults in Vulnerable Circumstances Level 3, VAWG (sexual and domestic violence), Mental Health First Aid, Neurodiversity and Accessibility Awareness, Harm Reduction Support intervention strategies - this facilitates management of a team of volunteers with a diverse skill set.
The Senior Coordinator, Corinne Lane, has been working in the event industry since 1987 in diverse roles including: stewarding, security, medical (mental health), licensing, production (safeguarding silver command), and even performing but her primary role has always been working with welfare teams to provide safety and support to event customers.
Are you a festival promoter or other event organiser? Are you considering your need for a professional welfare service? Then please get in touch by clicking here. We can provide you with a tailor-made risk assessment for your event and help with HSE, Licensing and Safeguarding compliance in the planning stage.
We are not affiliated to any religious group or political party. We are totally neutral. Our role is to work closely with other teams on site, providing emotional and practical support to those in need of it.
We aim to be prepared for anything:
● general welfare, practical assistance, information and advice
● a substance use harm minimisation service, i.e. drugs and alcohol advice and support - this includes New Psychoactive Substances, formerly known as ‘legal highs’, including N2O. The provision of a safe calming environment for people to recover from the effects of substance use, in liaison with on site medical team as necessary. Signposting.
● a general monitored rest and recovery area for those deemed medically fit yet needing rest before rejoining/leaving the event, in close liaison with the on site medical team, e.g. following illness or heat exhaustion.
● informal mental capacity assessment, in liaison with on site medical team
● an active listening and befriending service, including mental health support. Signposting.
● an ‘on-the-ground’, informal advocacy service between event customers and other onsite teams
● accessibility; neurodiversity, and chronic health condition support. Signposting.
● an inclusive QUIET SPACE for anyone who needs it.
● SAFEGUARDING - a lost/found children service, also the care of adults in vulnerable circumstances
● a place for breastfeeding, bottle warming and nappy changing
● a sexual health advice and support service. Condoms. Signposting.
● LGBTQIA+ diversity support and signposting
● a messages service, and a means of giving feedback to the organisers
● a LOST & FOUND PROPERTY SERVICE, including help and support cancelling cards, phones etc, and arranging transport home if required
● SAFE SPACE sexual harassment & assault/domestic violence support
● crime support
● eviction support
All supported to by appropriate levels of PPE, supplies and equipment.